Hello and welcome back crafty friends! Today, I’m up on the Penguin Palace Blog for a design team post, and I thought I’d do a birthday card since birthday is this month’s Penguin Palace Challenge theme! My style has definitely been gravitating toward clean and simple lately, but I also LOVE elaborate and interactive cards, so I thought I’d go back to my roots for this one. I combined a whole whack of stamps and dies to create this scene… it might be a little overboard but I couldn’t help myself 🤷
I used the largest rectangle die from the Penguin Palace (PP) Dotted Borders Slimline Pull Tab to create my card panel. Then I started laying out my scene. I used one of the dies from the PP Desert Landscape Scene Builder to create the ocean floor and beach. Once they were cut I ink blended them with distress oxide inks in Antique Linen, Tea Dye, and Brushed Corduroy; I also splattered some Vintage Photo on too.
The ocean waves were created using the Lawn Fawn Stitched Wave Border Die. Once it was diecut, I ink blended Broken China, Mermaid Lagoon, and Blueprint Sketch; I also used the My Favorite Things Radiating Rays stencil toward the top to make it look like the sun rays were shinning into the water. I created the mountains using two of the dies from the PP Mountain Landscape Scene Builder and ink blended them with Hickory Smoke and Black Soot. Lastly, I colored the sky using Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, and Picked Raspberry.
I stamped and die-cut images from a variety of PP sets including: Aloha Hawaii, The More We Get Together, and Beautiful Africa. The sentiment is from Bond with Nature Canada. I die-cut and Copic colored the images using the colors listed below.
- Sun–YR07, YR04 | Y18, Y06
- Cloud–BG000, BG0000
- Tree–E37, E34, E31 (trunk) | E77, E74, E71 (coconuts) | G07, YG17, YG25
- Girls–E11, E51, E50 (skin) | E29, E27, E25, E23 (hair) | R24 (mouths) | YG17, YG25, YG01 (skirts)
- Surfboard & flowers–V12, V01 | Y38, YR31 | R22, R30 | RV14, RV21
- Jellyfish–R22, R21, R30, R000
- Blobby looking fish–BV13, BV01, BV31
- Cat–C3, C1, C0 (cat) | RV21 (mouth) | BG49, BG15 | BG15, BG32, BG11, BG10
- Anemone–RV14, RV133, RV21 | RV10
- Cave–E34, E55, E31, E30 (sand) | N4, N2, N0 | N8, N6, N4 (roof/door)
- Snail–V09, V17, V15 | V12, V01
- Little fish–Y38, YR31
- Seaweed–YG09, YG06, YG01 | BG07, BG05, BG01 | RV14, RV21
Everyone is welcome to join in the Penguin Palace monthly challenges—and there’s a chance to win a $25 gift card to the ppstamps.com shop! All you have to do is create a project inspired by the graphic (birthday) using at least one Penguin Palace product as your focal point and add your project to the blog using the link tool! For the full details and to enter your project head HERE!
Thanks so much for stopping by, I hope you have a wonderful day!